Monday, May 30, 2011

Finding Dulcinea - Part 3: The Encounter

It is the heart that makes a man rich. He is rich according to what he is, not according to what he has. ~ H.W. Beecher

She has been on my mind since that first encounter.  It was also exacerbated by all the nasty replies to my two posts.  I couldn't accept that we, as a Lebanese society, have become as cynical and cold as western societies.  I mean I know we watch their TV/cinematographic media a lot but I am hoping we can still take a step back and say we are NOT like that. We refuse to become like that.  
I left a promising career in the US to come back and live in Beirut because I got sick and tired of being a social security number stuck in a rat race.  Somehow, I never accepted putting a dollar value on human warmth.


Anyway, it was a slow Sunday yesterday, mainly spent with the nephews playing football after all the excitement they had from watching Lionel Messi messin' it up for Man United. I don't recall what professor of mine advised to spend as much time as one can with kids under 7.  I took that advice to heart yesterday.


I decided to spent the evening enjoying Ilham Madfaai's concert in Beirut.  Towards the end of the concert, I spotted her sitting 3 rows down to the right of where I was.  Although it was dark, I knew it was her.  She was with 3 female friends.  There was no doubt in my mind that as soon as this concert is finished I will talk to her again and ask her to have coffee with me.

As the concert ended I walked towards her and said Hi.  She responded politely and I asked her if she remembered our chat about the Secular sign she wasn't allowed to bring into the Solidère area.  She nodded and smiled.
I told her can I talk to you for a second on the side.  She agreed and we stepped out of the way of the exiting crowds.


I said: "Listen, there is no proper introductory way to what I am about to say, so I am just gonna go ahead and say it"
She looked baffled.
I said: "Since that day we had our little exchange and I can't get you out of my mind"
She said: "ouf" and I sensed a minor blush and then said nothing.
I said: "OK, now is the time for you to tell me that you are married with five kids"
She laughed and said: "No... not yet" and I could see an excitement and twinkle in her blue eyes as she smiled and said that "not yet" ... 
That "not yet" sliced though me like a Samurai sword.  It was my clue that I had no right to intrude on her near future life project... 
And instead of asking her to join me for a cup coffee, I just looked her straight in the eyes and said:
"I'm sorry. I didn't know".
She smiled and replied: "No need, I will take it as a nice compliment"
I smiled at her, and wanted to say something about "May you find happiness" but all I said was "Sorry again" and showed her the way back into the exiting crowds as I shielded her from oncoming people.  She went back to her friends. I made my way through the crowd and never looked back...


Driving back home, I surprised myself not feeling disappointed.  I mean that woman stirred something inside me for sure and I acted on that stir and she wasn't available.  My gut feeling decision was that I didn't want to be the "other guy" or something in me clung to the purity of that stir she caused and I knew that pushing things further would amount to major headache.  Heartache I can take I guess, headache? I have more than my fair share at work.
I drove slowly and then it hit me: I am so glad I didn't ask her for her name or her address ... 


Cervantes was right, Quixote never finds Dulcinea ... but the search for mine continues ...



3 comments:

  1. 1. I am very glad that you can now get this out of your mind. You did the right thing, but what a coincidence that is.

    2. Please please please get in contact with the LebanonNow author and have her read this post and educated herself out of this western cage she has been imprisoned in. Maybe you can bring her back to "real" Lebanese life!

    3. Living in Canada at the moment until my education is over, allow me to congratulate and salute you on this GOLDEN passage:

    "I left a promising career in the US to come back and live in Beirut because I got sick and tired of being a social security number stuck in a rat race. Somehow, I never accepted putting a dollar value on human warmth."

    I face this feeling everyday here and I can't wait to go back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should be proud of yourself for never giving up. At least now you can carry on knowing you tried. If you didnt, regret would have haunted you forever. Good luck in your search.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Anonymous Thanks for the kind words. Somehow I still can't take her off my mind. It's really strange what this woman stirred in me. Very weird.
    Anyway, I agree with you. At least I don't regret not talking to her. Hopefully she is happy with whomever she chose to be with & La vie continue :)
    Q.

    ReplyDelete